For a long time, transgender people in Singapore had to rely on word of mouth for information on transitioning. This often led to them receiving outdated or harmful advice. Online resources were primarily targeted towards Western audiences and were not always applicable to the Singaporean context.
Driven by this lack of information, 10 volunteers came together to start TransgenderSG in 2017.
TransgenderSG pools together the collective knowledge and experiences of the transgender community to help each other navigate life in Singapore. We aim to increase access to information and choices for transition, and provide resources for individuals across life-stages and situations.
Our goals are to:
- Raise public respect for transgender individuals as full contributing members of our society;
- Create resources to bridge understanding and eliminate stigmatisation of transgender persons;
- Raise awareness and support for transgender community needs;
- Be on the ground at Pink Dot and community events to connect with the community and raise awareness of our presence;
- Work with local and regional transgender organisations to support each other;
- Respond to enquiries for help, especially with regards to employment, social and healthcare needs; and
- Engage with private and public entities to promote trans-friendly policies.
We are available for corporate talks and offer professionally-run inclusivity training and consultation. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to enquiry.
We hope that our work will help the transgender community in Singapore to have safer, smoother, and easier transitions. Ultimately, we are working towards a Singapore where all transgender persons feel safe, supported, and able to live their lives to the fullest.
Feel free to contact us if you have additional questions.