How we began
For a long time, transgender people in Singapore had to rely on word of mouth for information on transitioning, often ending up with outdated or harmful advice. Online resources were targeted towards Western audiences, making them less applicable to the Singaporean context.
Driven by this lack of information, 10 volunteers came together to start TransgenderSG in 2016.
TransgenderSG pools together the collective knowledge and experiences of the transgender community to help each other navigate life in Singapore. We aim to increase access to choices for transition, and provide resources for individuals across life-stages and situations.
Our goals are to:
- Raise public respect for transgender individuals as full contributing members of our society
- Create resources to bridge understanding and eliminate stigmatisation of transgender persons.
- Raise awareness and support for transgender community needs.
- Be on the ground at Pink Dot and community events to connect with the community and raise awareness of our presence.
- Work together with other transgender organisations to support each other.
- Respond to enquiries for help, especially with regards to employment, social and healthcare needs.
- Engage with private or public entities to promote trans-friendly policies.
We are available for corporate talks and offer professionally-run inclusivity training and consultation. Please email us for enquiries.
We hope that our work will help our transgender community in Singapore to have safer, smoother, and easier transitions, and live their lives to the fullest. Ultimately, we are working towards a Singapore where all transgender persons feel safe enough to come out, should they choose to.
Feel free to contact us if you have additional questions.